The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

FVHS Theatre Department presents ‘The Sound of Music’

Ella Wachtel
Fuquay Varina theatre department is performing ‘The Sound of Music’ starting on April 18 and will continue having shows until April 20.

The spring school musical is fast approaching. On April 18-20, 2024, Fuquay Varina High School is showing “The Sound of Music.” 

“This is a super nostalgic piece for me. I feel like there are lots of people who have attachments to the show as a whole from the cast, music, and story” said FVHS theater teacher and director Paige MacGovern.

There will be a total of four shows. On opening night, Thursday, April 18th, 2024, the show starts at 7 p.m. The show starts at 7 p.m. Friday, April 19th, 2024. On the last day of production, Saturday, April 20th, 2024, there will be two performances: the first at 1 p.m. and the next at 7 p.m..

The tickets are still available for purchase around the school on the flyers with the QR codes. The price of tickets is $10. The tickets can be purchased up to two hours before the show. Seating is first come, first served.

Theatre has been working hard on the show for months. The cast and crew have been working behind the scenes to make the show perfect. The music and arts departments have also been helping by working on sets and providing music.

“It’s real choral music. It’s been a challenge for both the main cast and ensemble. It speaks to the work the actors have put inside and outside of rehearsal,” said FVHS chorus teacher Tyler Cole.

MacGovern wanted to “accurately depict” the history of the show and what the show represents to paint a picture for the audience. To accomplish this, she had social studies teacher Jonathan Bushhouse share background information about the history of the show to give them an understanding of “The Sound of Music.” 

The making of the show hasn’t been easy for the students and teachers involved; it’s taken a lot of work.

“As a director, being both a part of the acting and the building of the set is the challenging part as we try to build the whole show and stay true to the story, but also staying within our budget. But I want to do it right too. Balancing our funds is the hardest part,” said MacGovern.

Even though budgeting might be an issue, accurately representing the story is always important and can be difficult when not having enough time.

“I’ve had to add rehearsals because some parts are tricky and trying to put things together. It’s so good with it being Rodgers and Hammerstein,” said Cole.

The directors and teachers involved in the play weren’t the only ones that found parts of the play a little difficult. 

“The hardest part of this show is the dances as I’m more used to dancing from ‘The Wizard of OZ,’ but it’s going well and it’s much better this time. The show will be awesome,” said junior, actor and ensemble member Tyler Atkin.

While making the show has had some difficulties, the cast has prevailed and made great achievements while still having fun on set. 

“It’s going well. Everyone is trying to get parts down and really get into it. It’s fun to be around and do whatever I can,” said Atkin.

The cast and crew are putting in a lot of effort which happens when you have a good work environment.

Acting isn’t the only part of the play. The set design and tech side of the show play important roles as well. 

“One of the coolest things has been the tech side of the show. This is my third show as the stage co-tech director. I have a lot of returners who know what to do, “ said Cole. 

The process of watching actors grow as people and their characters is an important part of developing a play’s story. 

“Planning and watching these songs and characters come to life and getting there anytime something clicks or comes together, it’s really exciting,” said MacGovern.

Even though they have had a lot of involvement from the school, they also have involved the community by having young actors in the play. Sadly, this will be the last time seniors will take a bow for their high school career.

“It’s going to be a really beautiful show and an amazing representation of a classical show everyone knows and loves,” said Cole. 

Go watch the theater and arts departments’ hard work and exciting representation of “The Sound of Music” this April.