FVHS softball slides to end of season

Fuquay-Varina High School softball team closes up the season.
Erin Fahringer

This year FVHS softball hired a whole new coaching staff team with head coach Robbie Wray and assistant coach Alexa Nemeth.

“At first it was a little bit of a struggle with the new coaching staff, but in the end, it meshed well together,” said senior Addison Smith.

This year, there ended up being no JV team and only varsity because of the lack of people trying out. The team had four freshmen, five sophomores, four juniors, and four seniors.

“We had a wide range of ages but a lot were young. So we weren’t the biggest underdogs, but we definitely came out from under,” said Smith.

This year the team had a record of 12-11 placing them sixth in the Greater Neuse River 4A Conference and ranked 87 in NC. 

“We had a pretty good season. It was fun being on varsity as a sophomore and getting to know everybody. Since most of them were on varsity last year getting to know the routine was great,” said sophomore Nyla Robinson-Partridge.

The team ended up making it to the 2024 NCHSAA softball championship 4A and won the first round against Topsail with a score of 5-3. Unfortunately, they lost the second round against Willow Springs 5-10, even with the strong effort from junior Ayala Durant who got two runs.

Overall, FVHS softball has an amazing season. With the new coaching staff and being a younger team, making it to playoffs is a huge accomplishment for all of them. We hope to see them continue down this path in the upcoming years and wish a farewell to all of the seniors who are graduating.fau