The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Craziest sports records in history

Ella Wachtel
Over time, many records have been set for multiple different sports, and some of them are so crazy they will never be broken.

Some of the craziest sports records that are held are nearly unbeatable. Those records are held by the true greatest of their respective sports, whether its basketball, baseball, hockey, boxing, golf, or swimming, there are some sports records that will never be broken.

Basketball is one of the most watched sports around the world, with the NBA drawing in millions of people watching every game. 

There are many athletes in the GOAT conversation in basketball with many considering Michael Jordan and Lebron James to be the biggest contenders. Lebron James currently holds one of the most impressive records, having over 40,000 career points in the NBA. Micahel Jordan is in the GOAT conversation for his impressive 6 NBA finals wins and was named the finals MVP all six times he appeared.

In the NHL, Wayne Gretsky is the indisputable greatest hockey player of all time. Gretsky has over 894 career goals with almost 2,000 assists and over 2,800 points. Behind Gretzky’s all time goal record is Ovechkin with 853 career goals. Ovechkin is closing in on Gretzky’s record, but Gretsky still has impressive records elsewhere defining himself as the greatest hockey player of all time.

In baseball, the GOAT conversation is much more spread out; however, Barry Bonds holds one of the most impressive records with 762 career home runs, with 72 in a single season. Hank Aaron is the closest behind Bonds with 755, and only two other players are in the 700s. However, Bonds took performance enhancing drugs, which was common at the time, but brings his GOAT status into question by many followers of the sport.

When it comes to boxing, Mike Tyson is the greatest boxer of all time holding an impressive record of 50-6, winning 44 matches by knockout. Tyson also holds the record for the youngest boxer to ever win a heavyweight title. There are, however, others close by with other impressive records.

Micahel Phelps is the most decorated person to compete in the Olympics ever with 28 medals in his Olympic career. Phelps holds this record with a clear margin, with second behind him only holding 18 medals. Phelps not only holds many medals, but holds the world record in the 400 meter medley, the 4×100 medley relay, the 4×100 freestyle relay, and the 4×200 freestyle relay defining himself as the greatest of all time.

Tiger Woods is one of the most impressive golfers of all time, with many claiming he is the greatest. Woods currently is tied with Sam Snead for PGA tour wins and holds the record for career PGA wins and career major wins.

These players are at the top of their sport, holding records that will never be broken or forgotten for decades to come. Many athletes work tirelessly to break past the records set by their predecessors and work to bring attention to their sport by breaking and setting new records.