Three FVHS students get accepted into Quill and Scroll honor society

Ella Wachtel
Noah Dawley, Riley Congdon, and Ralph Philips recently got accepted into the honor society for student journalists.

Three seniors from our Fuquay-Varina High School newspaper, “Roaring Bengals,” have been inducted into the National Honor Society, Quill and Scroll. Quill and Scroll is a high school honor society for journalism students.

Riley Congdon, Noah Dawley, and Ralph Philips are the students who were accepted into this honor society.

“I feel very honored to be in such a prestigious society that brings together many journalists in not only our high school but the United States,” said Congdon.

In order to get accepted into Quill and Scroll, one must be in their senior year of high school. Second, they must be in the upper third of their class either for that year or in total. Third, they must have done “superior work” in journalism or other media. Fourth, a supervisor must recommend them. Finally, they must be approved by the society’s executive director. 

“I feel extremely honored with the fact that this society is only about two years old, and we are one of the first classes to be inducted; it means a lot to me. I wasn’t expecting this, but I really do appreciate it.” said Dawley.

Quill and Scroll Honor Society has eight main guiding principles; the first of them is truth, the second is learning, the third is leadership, the fourth is loyalty, the fifth is initiative, the sixth is integrity, the seventh is judgment, and finally, the eighth is friendship.

“It’s an honor. I saw the induction of Quill and Scroll my junior year, and it was very, very compelling to see the work the people put in to get such an honor among the journalism community. I was really proud and very happy to say that I got that same honor my senior year,” said Philips.

This Society is very prestigious and we are proud to have three of our own be accepted into it.