Graduation caps and gowns need to change

Many seniors attending Fuquay Varina High School have varying opinions on the cap and gown they received for graduation.
Photo by Leon Wu on Unsplash

The graduating class of 2024 has received their cap and gowns for their graduation ceremony. The cap and gowns are a simple and classic black color, but there are a lot of controversial opinions on these caps and gowns.

The graduation caps are just like any you have seen, but many students wanted to decorate their caps this year. Decorating your cap is against regulations for the graduation ceremony. Decorating your caps can be a beautiful expression of personality and pride for both our school and ourselves.

Decorating graduation caps is a tradition that helps students to add some of themselves to their graduation outfits. It is a beautiful tradition that I think is a lovely idea for many students and schools.

It is against regulation for a reason. It would be hard to keep track of if everything being put on the caps is appropriate for the graduation ceremony. It would also take away from the clean professional look of the classic cap and gown.

Regarding the gowns, a couple of opinions have risen. Some students are upset that they have to zip up their gowns during the ceremony.

“I’m paying for a very pretty dress for my graduation, and I have to zip it up behind a robe,” senior Leeka Njie said.

Our graduates will all look wonderful in their dresses and suits. I don’t see a reason as to why students have to zip up their graduation gowns. It is saddening to have to hide what everyone will be wearing as they walk out of the school for the final time.

Another take on the graduation gowns is the color. Black is a classic for graduation, but does it fit for our school? We have a very prideful school that is proud to be called Fuquay-Varina, and the color of our gowns does not reflect that.

I hoped that our graduation gowns would be a unique color, maybe an orange to match the school colors,” senior Sanai Mondie said.

The school will have a lovely ceremony regardless of the small tweaks to our graduates’ attire. Everyone walking across that stage has earned their right to proudly call themselves the graduating class of 2024.