Everything you need to know about graduation day

FVHS class of 2023 will graduate high school on June 14, 2023. At the beginning of April, the administration held a meeting for the seniors to go over everything they need to know about graduation, Senior Day, and Senior Night. Let’s review everything you may need to know about these events. 

Senior Night is June 1, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the gym. All seniors are to wear their graduation gowns but no graduation caps to prevent losing them. The night will consist of recognizing the seniors for their plans after high school, and any of the scholarships they might have received. 

Senior Day is June 2, starting at 7:35 a.m. Cap and gowns are required for the senior picture, but seniors should wear a shirt for where they are going after high school underneath. A group senior picture in cap and gowns starts at 7:45 a.m. Breakfast will start at 8:00 a.m., followed by the senior slideshow at 8:40 a.m. There will be a review of graduation procedures and a rehearsal for graduation, and then everyone will be released for a senior picnic at 11:25 a.m.

The actual graduation ceremony will be held on June 14 at the Raleigh Convention Center. Seniors are to be there at 11:00 a.m., and the ceremony will start at 12:00 p.m. You must have your name written inside your cap in order to get into the center and receive your diploma. Tickets for graduation will be distributed on June 12 and 13 in the main lobby. Distribution will be from 9-11:00 a.m. and 12-2:00 p.m. on June 12, and from 9-12:00 p.m. on June 13. Seniors must pick up their own tickets with a picture ID. Each student will receive eight tickets, and only guests with tickets will be allowed into the ceremony. 

Under cap and gowns, seniors are to wear a collared shirt, with a necktie or bowtie, dress pants/khakis, dark socks, a light-weight dress that is no longer than the gown, minimal jewelry, and dress shoes. No gum or smoking will be allowed once you enter the convention center. No one is allowed to decorate their caps and gowns. Students are also not allowed to have their phones, handbags, cameras, or any other electronic devices on themselves during the ceremony. 

Seniors will graduate in alphabetical order with names called every 3-4 seconds, and there will be no applause after each student. There will be times for applause built into the procession. Catcalling, yelling, and pranks will not be tolerated. Diplomas could be withheld due to activity similar to this. 

Senior honors will be based on a cumulative weighted GPA. Summa cum laude will be 4.25 or higher, 4.0- 4.249 will receive magna cum laude, and 3.75 – 3.99 will receive cum laude.

All fees, fines, and any other financial obligations are due by 3 p.m. on June 2 in order to attend graduation. 

With two months left in high school, seniors are just on the brink of adulthood, and school will be over before they know it. Senior activities are made to celebrate the 12 years that they have put into school and to make the most of the time in high school they have left.