In-school physicals offered for student-athletes

Ella Wachtel
Fuquay Varina High School is holding a physical night for athletes to have an easy way to get their physical done in order to tryout for their desired sports.

The annual in-school sports physical will be held in the gym on Thursday, May 23, 2024. Each student will be charged $10 per physical.

Check-in will be in the main gym of Fuquay Varina High School. Once your forms have been filled out and you have completed your physical, make sure that you check out. 

At the event, there will be multiple stations where students will be assessed, weighed, and measured. The physical will be the same for each student athlete no matter what sport you hope to play in the upcoming year. 

FVHS athletics has the Sports Medicine Club helping with directing people where to go, and how to get their physicals done as efficiently as possible. Members of the club will be at each station with height and weight, blood pressure, eye tests and the physician.

FVHS offers these in-school physicals because it is an opportunity for athletes who may not have time to schedule a physical with their family pediatrician or athletes who can’t seem to find an appointment before the physical forms are due. This is a more convenient option for families because the form needed will be provided at the beginning of the physical for you and your family to fill out. 

Those helping at the physical will be able to assist you with answering any questions you may have, and they can help you enter your information into DragonFly.

The physicals will be completely open to the public, not just students at FVHS. In the past, there have been students from Fuquay Varina Middle School and even some Willow Spring High School students who come to our physical day because their school does not offer this opportunity.

One of the things that makes getting an in-school physical so intriguing is the fact that you can immediately register your information in DragonFly with the help of the officials at the event. This is convenient because when you are ready to get your ticket to play, you will already have your information registered. This school physical is also widely popular among students and families because it allows for a convenient place for hundreds of kids to get their physicals with people they are familiar with and people that they already trust. 

A major selling point to getting this in-school physical is the fact that when you get your physical here at the school your insurance is not billed. It is just a flat $10 cash fee. 

“This event is important for athletes to come to because we do not bill insurance, and all the proceeds from this event will go towards the FVHS athletic department. This physical is an easy convenient option that you do not have to make an appointment for,” said athletic trainer Heather Pagel.

We hope to see you on Thursday, May 23, 2024, in the main gym of FVHS to get your annual sports physical.