Last FVHS concert of school year preparing to end strong

Fuquay Varina High School band will be performing at their last 2023 - 2024 season concert on May 21, 2024.
Fuquay Varina High School band will be performing at their last 2023 – 2024 season concert on May 21, 2024.
Ella Wachtel

On Tuesday, May 21, 2024, the Fuquay-Varina High School’s band will be performing in the school auditorium starting at 7:00 p.m. with completely free admission.

At the concert, the band will be playing classical cornerstone pieces and universal pieces like, “Salvation is Created” by Pavel Chesnokov, “Hopak!” by William Owens, “Second Suite in F” by Gustav Holst, “Courtly Airs and Dances” by Ron Nelson, “Play!” by Carl Holmquist and “Shortcut Home” by Dana Wilson.

“I feel good, I’m ready. It’s my last concert, so I’m ready to finish out my career in high school with the band program,” said Luke Travers, a senior performing at the end of year concert.

“I do think it will go well, for sure. We’re playing a piece called, ‘Play!’ I’m playing the soprano sax. I’ve never played it before,” Travers added.

In Travers’ details, he provides a hopeful and excited tone as to how he believes it will go, picking up new instruments in his performance to end his final year strong and full of change.

“I don’t think it’s gonna go as well as we hope it will, but I think it will still sound good. The music that we’re playing is pretty hard and not a lot of people practiced enough. They’ve practiced enough to get it but not enough to get it good,” said sophomore Iasonas Stratis. It is common for artists to never feel completely satisfied with their performance.

“I’m excited for it because it’s still going to sound good, it’s just not as good as we want it to be,” Stratis continued.

For some students, this will be their last performance at FHVS.

“I feel good, I’m ready. It’s my last concert, so I’m ready to finish out my career in high school with the band program,” said senior Luke Travers.