The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

FVHS teacher of the year awarded to Ms.Elliott

Kelly Elliott, food and nutrition teacher, has been recognized as Teacher of the Year for 2023 due to her engagement with students. Elliott attended Campbell University for her food and nutrition degree and received her masters degree at NC State. She became a foods and nutritions teacher at FVHS in 2017. 

Sophomore Anna Lord said, “She really tries to connect with the students on a different level which makes it easier to learn and be comfortable around her. She was always super open and honest with us, and I think that’s really important for a teacher and their students.”

Teachers play a major role on students. According to 240 Tutoring, on average each teacher impacts over 3,000 students throughout their careers, and 75 percent of students look up to their teachers as role models and mentors. If a student sees their teacher as a role model, their actions and standards will be influenced by them.

“Something that my teachers did that I incorporate in my way of teaching is having one on one interactions. We knew them and they knew us,” said Elliot.

In the school environment, it is important for teachers and students to be able to have a good connection with each other. If a student and teacher have a poor connection and struggle to understand each other, it may make a student less likely to put in effort into their work and learning.

Elliott said, “I make them feel important. I respect my students and they respect me.”