FVHS springs into playoffs

Fuquay-Varina High School sports, such as mens tennis, softball, womens lacrosse, mens lacrosse, baseball, womens soccer, and track and field will be competing in playoffs this year.
Erin Fahringer

As the spring sports seasons come to a close, fans all wonder who will make it to the playoffs. All FVHS athletes have worked hard this year and proved themselves as individuals and as a team, and for some teams, that has resulted in a playoff berth.

Womens softball has been killing it this season, with an overall record of 11-7, making them fourth in the Greater Neuse River 4A Conference, which means they will make the playoffs.

“I think we need to focus our mindset more, but we are all excited for playoffs. A new coach is going to make a good impact on the team and the whole dynamic,” said senior Addison Smith.

Mens baseball has also been doing very well this season with the same record as softball, 11-7, which puts them first in the GNRC conference. With these stats, they will make the playoffs.

“We feel pretty strong going into the playoffs. We have been playing well these past couple of weeks. We have come together as a team and played hard,”  said senior Brian Oakley.

Womens lacrosse has been doing outstanding with a record of 14-2, making them second in conference and securing themselves a place in the playoffs.

“We feel pretty good. We are co-conference champs this year, but we really want to win the first playoff game this year. We have a lot of motivation,” said senior Jordan Jones.

Mens lacrosse has an amazing record of 10-6 making them second in conference which places them in the playoffs as well. Based on their performance, we can predict they will do well in the playoffs.

“To prepare for playoffs, we practice pretty hard and have done a lot to help us down the road. The games this past week have really helped us,” said senior Connor Castle. 

On the field, womens soccer has been kicking it with a record of 8-4-3 making them second in conference. This also secures their spot in playoffs since they have beaten so many schools like Garner, Cleveland, and Clayton.

“I think we are in a good situation for the playoffs. We have had some pretty good games that helped us find our rhythm as a team,” said senior Emily Fairbairn.

For track, in discus and the mile, they have been doing very well. With senior Gates Hinton being first in the nation and consistently placing first throughout the season for discus, it secures them a spot in the playoffs.  

“I have been trying to dial in on technique and work hard in my personal training and be consistent with my lifts,” said Hinton.

Also, sophomore Brandon Williams has been doing outstanding in the mile-run which also puts him in the playoffs in early May.

“To prepare for the playoffs I have been training harder, and have been doing more weight training trying to get prepared physically,” said Williams.

Last but not least, the tennis team has been doing great this season with a record of 9-7, placing them fourth in conference. They will have a place in the playoffs.

“To prepare, we have practiced against each other a lot. We have played with our doubles partner to get better, and we have been focusing on our strengths,” said senior Drew Smith.

Overall these teams have worked so hard and we are so proud of how far they have come. Making it to the playoffs is a huge accomplishment for these teams and we wish them the best of luck.