Prom king, queen crowned

Ella Wachtel
Shae Bass and Ralph Philips were voted as Prom queen and king at Fuquay Varina High School.

Prom was held at the North Hills Hilton in Raleigh on Saturday. Prom is a yearly occurrence for upperclassmen at most schools, but there are many traditions that happen in prom itself, one of those being the crowning of Prom king and queen. 

To vote for Prom king and queen you had to have voted the week before at the ticket pickup. 

All seniors could have been nominated by anyone in the school. The nominees had to be current FVHS students. In the end, there were eight students elected to be on Prom court. 

The seniors who were nominated to be on the Prom court are as follows: Shae Bass, Pamela Schneider, Madison Bandarra, Abigail Adams, Dylan Finch, Devin Perry, Ralph Philips, and Mwenda Murungi. 

We would like to especially congratulate Ralph Philips who won Prom king and Shae Bass who won Prom queen. 

“I would say I’ve wanted this since I was a little girl, and it felt really good to be crowned prom queen,” said senior Shae Bass 

Though some students always thought and dreamed of Prom king and queen, not everyone had. 

“It was never something I thought about. I went about my life doing my thing, and one day they told me I was going to be on the Prom court and everyone started telling me they were going to vote for me. It didn’t seem real. I didn’t think it was going to actually happen, but when I got to Prom, everyone started cheering for me. It was such a humbling experience. When I was crowned king, there was a standing ovation, and it felt really good to be honored for just being myself,” said senior Ralph Philips.

Others just lived their lives and made friends with the student body, making them liked by all. 

“It was very flattering to know that the student body thought of me so highly to vote me for Prom king,” said Philips

Even though not every student wants to be Prom king or queen, for those who do, here are some words of advice. 

“For the future, I would say if you have a goal you need to put yourself out there because you never know what could happen,” said Bass.