The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

New tardy bell policy at FVHS

Ella Wachtel
Students walking to their next period are more likely to be on time because of the new tardy bell.

A new warning tardy bell started Monday, Feb. 5. This bell rings one minute before class is about to start. It was set to help students be more aware of how much time they have left to get to class. 

This bell has brought mixed opinions on whether students like it or not. I think that this bell is beneficial from personal experience, and I have noticed some people getting to class on time more. 

Sophomore Gabriella Estrella said, “I don’t like the new tardy bell, I don’t see why it’s necessary.”

This bell is beneficial, but the sound of the bell may be the main cause for students to dislike it since it sounds similar to the fire alarm. I like it because I used to always have to be looking at my phone to check the time. Other times, I would get distracted and end up late to class. If the sound of the bell were to change, it could change opinions for anyone who has a dislike for it. 

As for the new policy for getting ISS for five tardies I dislike it due to the reason that some students, including myself, can’t control what time we arrive at school. So getting ISS for five tardies isn’t going to change our ability to get to class on time. I think there should be exceptions depending on the students, because some students definitely get to class late on purpose at times.

Sophomore Paisley Koch stated, “I don’t think being tardy five times should put people in ISS. Some students rely on someone else to get to school.”

The exception should only exist for students who are arriving late for their first period of the day because otherwise you are already in the building. Another thing that should also be taken into consideration is how much you attend class and your grades. 

Sophomore Paisley Koch stated, “I think it’s more important for students to actually be in class than to be in ISS, and I don’t think it helps students.” 

Hopefully, some of the tardy policies change or become modified for those students that struggle to get to school on time or an alternative solution is provided. I hope that this new bell also benefits student attendance and everyone can find a beneficial use to it.