The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Bengal Talk recap

Stephany Ortiz
FVHS Logo on an orange background, February 2, 2024

Bengal Talks were held during first and second blocks on Jan. 29 and 30. A few new things that have been introduced, such as 10th graders gaining access to a parking pass, the new tardy bell, changes to the graduation tickets, and tardy consequences. Although these changes and additions have some people satisfied, others are questioning the effects and inconvenience.

Student parking passes have become available for sophomores as long as you have met the requirements. FVHS has also modified the cost for a parking pass which will be dependent on the amount of school days left when purchased. This change has been made to prioritize students that need to drive themselves to and from school. 

Sophomore Brooklyn Gonerway said, “It’s beneficial because buses may have a lot of inconsistency and parents won’t have to worry about taking their kids to and from school.”

Starting Monday, Feb 5, a new bell was introduced. It rings when you have less than a minute to get to class. This new bell has been added to help students get to class on time and be more aware of how much time they have left until they will be counted tardy. In addition to our new tardy bell is the tardy policy, stating if you get five tardies or more you receive ISS. For some students, this has already become an issue due to carpool lines or simply just their way of transportation. 

Sophomore Logan Rouse said, “I think the ISS policy for five tardies should have an exemption if it’s your first class because most students can’t control what time we arrive at school. Although if it were to be your other periods, it should apply because students are already inside the school building.”

Next up from the Bengal Talks are the senior graduation tickets. This year, seniors will only get four tickets per student rather than eight. Some students claim that they find this new ticket change possibly more convenient for less traffic and people. Although other students argue that this change is negative to them due to prior planning or simply just wanting the ability to have more people attend their graduation. 

Senior Raegan Jordan said, “I feel that this is not only going to affect me but other seniors as well. Due to already pre-planning who was going to attend my graduation, and now being informed I can’t have the people I originally planned to be there kind of takes away from the experience.” 

View Comments (1)