Winter guard places fifth in last Saturday’s event

Ella Wachtel
Fuquay Varina High School winter guard, competed against multiple different schools on Saturday, January 27 at Willow Springs High School. Photo credit to Teke Davidson.

FVHS participated in a winter guard competition and placed fifth at the event on January 27 at Willow Springs High School. Basset High School, Dixon High School, and Green Hope High School also competed. 

This was the first time our winter guard competed this season. The team consists of 11 members with many being originally from colorguard. 

The winter guard hopes to improve their outcomes in order to establish their legacy for upcoming years. 

Sophomore Samantha Willams stated, “I think we did pretty good for the first winter guard event that FVHS has competed in; however, I do think there is a lot more room to grow in order to secure the wins that we want.”

Although the outcome wasn’t what the guard was hoping for, they will have the chance to redeem themselves on Feb. 10 at Holly Springs High School, where they will compete again for the top spot. 

The winter guard also enjoyed meeting other people on the opposing teams to learn from them and hone their skills. 

Captain of the winter and color guard, Violetta Stratis stated, “It was super fun, met a lot of new people.”

Stratis also stated that when it was time to perform, the experience was different compared to when they compete with the marching band. The audience usually applauds and they are focused more on the band and not the guard. However, during the competition, it was silent and more focused on the guard aspect. 

For more information on the color guard, you can visit their website