FVHS swimming into regional competition

Ella Wachtel
Ethan Fairbairn (pictured center) competes in the TAC event on December 5, 2023. Photo credit to Lily Key.

The FVHS swim and dive team will compete in the Greater Neuse River Conference regional championship on Feb. 2. The swimmers have had a great season, resulting in a 5-11-6 record for the boys and a 6-11-6 record for the women. These results qualified them to a trip to the Greater Neuse River Conference regional championship. 

“Our goals for this season were to recruit more members, place well in conference, and have all relays make it to regionals,” said head coach Samineo Myers.

FVHS had high hopes for the season after finishing second last season in the GNRC for both men and women. Even though the results may not have been the most impressive, the most important thing this season was creating an uplifting swim culture. 

Creating a positive swim culture is challenging, with most swimmers being underclassmen, but that did not stop FVHS from placing fourth out of five tough teams in the conference.

Junior Swimmer Aidan Morgan competed in the 100m butterfly, 50m relay freestyle, and 200 relay freestyle.

“Considering the challenges we had faced with injuries and a limited amount of swimmers, we exceeded our expectations,” said Morgan. 

Despite their challenges, FVHS will compete in the regional conference championship at the Cary Aquatic Center on Friday, Feb. 2, 2024. 

After going through a rebuilding season this year, next year FVHS swim and dive will have a bright future ahead, with more experienced and poised swimmers.

Junior freestyle swimmer Julie Selig is one of the most promising swimmers, placing in the top three at multiple meets throughout the season. Selig could take the GNRC conference by storm with her impressive initial acceleration of the board and top-tier swimming speed, and she’s only a junior, so she still has another season to look forward to.  

While this year may not have looked as good on paper, there is a promising future ahead for FVHS, led by Myers. 

“ I am incredibly proud of both men’s and women’s teams and how they performed this year, and cannot wait for our team to come back stronger next year and make an impact in FVHS sports,” said Myers.