FVHS defeats rival Willow Springs in key matchup for Victory Bell

Ella Wachtel

FVHS’s varsity wrestling team defeated Willow Springs High School with a crucial win from Porter Reece. FVHS needed this win to stay in the race for first place in the Greater Neuse River Conference. 

Coming into these matches, Willow Springs was one of the most dominant opponents in the Greater River Neuse Conference. While only placing 19th out of 28 teams in the Green Hope Grapple Tournament, Willow Springs has produced many successful young players.

“It felt great to win my first varsity win at 132 pounds,” said sophomore wrestler Porter Reece. 

Reece is currently one of three sophomores on the team with multiple wins this season. Reece also gave insight on preparing for upcoming matches.

“I practiced intensely every day with warm-up matches and practicing moves daily,” said Reece. 

These matches against Willow Springs were vital to all players and coaches. Coming into the contest, the Victory Bell was being played for all bragging rights for the next year. 

The importance of the bell goes back to the early 1900s when FVHS and Willow Springs High School were one school. This bell was located outside the front doors and rang every first and last period of every day.

Administration of both FVHS and Willow Springs came together to make a stand for the bell and start an everlasting tradition. 

By winning this crucial match, FVHS will hold the Bell until they face Willow Springs later in the regular season. 

FVHS is currently 2-3 and will travel to Garner High School on Dec. 13, 2023, and face off against Southeast Raleigh High School and Garner High School.