Local high school student killed in on-campus stabbing

Ella Wachtel
Southeast Raleigh High School is on high alert after a tragic incident.

On Nov. 27, two high school students were stabbed by another at Southeast Raleigh High School. Both students were hospitalized, and while one is stable with no life threatening injuries, the other student unfortunately passed as a result of his injuries.

Raleigh Police had taken a 14-year-old suspect into custody. He is being charged with murder on a juvenile petition. 

Videos taken by other Southeast Raleigh students show bits and pieces of the fight leading to the incident. The fight began outside the school’s gym and spilled inside after the fight began. 

According to  WRAL News, “The initial call to Raleigh Police came in at 11:01 a.m., when a school resource officer called for EMS and backup, saying a student had been stabbed.” The school was later put under a code red lockdown until the incident was situated. 

Recurring situations like this are scary for all students. 

FVHS senior Alexis Bullock said, “We shouldn’t have to come to school and be worried about guns. Kids already are coming to school with anxiety. All of this is making them even more scared.”

The school was closed Tuesday, Nov. 28 and Wednesday, Nov. 29. The district has made their crisis team available to offer students as much support as possible. Counselor meeting opportunities are being given to all students to help them through this hard time.

The school and the police force are working to investigate to help avoid this problem going forward. Concerned students and parents believe violence in schools needs to decrease if we want an anxiety-free education.

Bullock said, “School is supposed to be a safe space. What happened to our safe space?”