FVHS Gymnastics team wins Conference

Ella Wachtel
Fuquay Varina High School gymnastics team. Mae Sokoloowki, Savannah Smith, Evie Buccafusca, Laniyah Montgomery, Parya Siamaki, Deborah Orr, Pyper Penland, and Reagan Zigler.

The FVHS Gymnastics teams won first place in the Greater Neuse River Conference on Oct. 14. The competition was held at Raleigh School of Gymnastics against students from multiple school teams, including many from our own team. 

A gymnastic meet consists of four events: vault, bars, beam, and floor. Each competitor has a score individually, but overall, they are also scored as a group.

Junior Parya Siamaki said, “When they called out that we won, it was a really bittersweet feeling because the season was coming to an end and most of our seniors were leaving and winning the conference kind of tied it all together.”

The gymnastic team is not only competing together, but they have become friends and almost like family. 

Sophomore Pyper Penland said, “I like competing with my friends. I’ve made a lot of good friends on the team, and we’ve gotten really close.” 

Not only have they bonded with each other, they have built relationships with other teams in their conferences, like Willow Springs High School. The FVHS team always practices with the Willow team.

Siamaki said, “I love how we can all come together and support each other. If someone gets a new skill, everyone’s so excited for everyone. We all get along.”

Many of the team members are ready to continue to work hard next season.

Siamaki said, “I’m excited to see how we all do and come together and watch everyone grow.”

The team hopes to continue to improve and be able to keep their title of conference winner.