The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Students asked to stop misusing elevator

There+are+now+warnings+in+the+elevators+for+misuse.+
Christian Helfrich
There are now warnings in the elevators for misuse.

FVHS students have been facing repercussions as a result of misusing the elevator. If you need an elevator pass, they are available in student services. Elevator use is only permitted to those who have permission from the school. For example, students with accommodations, injuries, or anxiety. If students are caught exploiting the use of the elevator or vandalizing it, they will be punished. 

Some of the vandalism that has happened includes ripping the walls off, busting the lights out of the ceiling, graffiti, and tearing the occupancy sign. Without these signs, the elevator will be reset and cannot be used at all. These actions are very harmful to the elevator and are very dangerous to the students. 

If the destruction continues, then it becomes a safety hazard not only for the individuals that need the elevator, but for those that misuse it as well. 

The wrecking of the elevator costs the school a lot of money as well. If the school spends more money on the elevator, then they will have to spend less money on improving our school. 

“Those things don’t make sense to me for a high school student. I’m thinking that you’re going to get in there and get off. I don’t understand why all the shenanigans have to happen,” said assistant principal Kristi Leak. 

If you are using the elevator when you are not supposed to, you are also delaying other students that actually need it. It makes getting around school more difficult for them.

The first punishment if caught is a fine. This causes maintenance to come and inspect the elevator, which once again, costs money. The next option is restriction. You will not be able to use the elevators under any circumstances. Lastly, you could get in school suspension, out of school suspension, and parent conferences. 

“We want the elevator available to all students who use it responsibly, but we just don’t want the damage done to the elevators,” said Leak.