The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Student body elects Homecoming court nominees, King and Queen

Our Homecoming Kings and Queens!

Homecoming court is a group of people elected by their peers separated by grade level to represent their grade for Homecoming. The nominees for FVHS were announced last Friday, with two people nominated in freshman, sophomore and junior grades, and four people in the senior grade.

Homecoming court nominees have each chosen an escort, who is someone that is 18 years-old, or older, that is important to them. Nominees will be announced on the football field during halftime at the Homecoming game, which will be held Friday, Oct. 6. Homecoming King and Queen will then be announced and crowned.

The nominated seniors will have a chance to be crowned Homecoming King or Queen. Voting has been going on during lunch this week to pick the pair of winning nominees. Anyone can vote for whichever King or Queen they want. The nominated seniors are Madeline Blout, Annika Higginbotham, John Dicorte and Jakari Hardison.

“Crowning our Homecoming King and Queen is the longest tradition we have here at FVHS,” said FVHS teacher Shannon O’Brien.

Although only seniors can be crowned King or Queen, the underclassman nominees are still important to the Homecoming court. They represent their grade level and give equal opportunity to the rest of the school instead of focusing on just seniors. The freshman nominees are Brooke White and Brayden Massey. The sophomore nominees are Emma Campbell and Holden Beirman, and the junior nominees are Ella Wachtel and Keyoni Janovitch-Horton.

Sophomore Emma Campbell is one of the Homecoming court nominees for the tenth grade. Campbell is involved with the FVHS dance team and FCCLA.

“I think it’s important to be an active member of your school, and it’s fun to get to know the people you spend four years with,” said Campbell.

Homecoming court gives people the opportunity to be represented and elected by their grade levels and to be active in the school community.

“I thought it’d be fun to get nominated by my classmates and be a good representation of our school,” said Campbell.