Schools should expand on diverse languages taught

Spanish, French and German are the only three languages taught at FVHS. Notice a common factor? They are all European languages. 

Having language classes from all different parts of the world would help students communicate with different types of people and help them understand different cultures at a deeper level. Communication is key when you are applying at jobs, traveling the world, or even just trying to make friends. 

Some kids are unable to learn a language in their home environments, so teaching more languages at schools helps kids with that issue. 

Sophomore Amina Kaissi said, “I live in a household where everyone speaks Arabic except for me. I was introduced to it at a late age and it just never stuck. I also don’t feel like I fit in with the rest of the Moroccans because of this.” 

Mandarin is the world’s most spoken language and schools don’t even offer it. Learning Mandarin not only is cool, but it also opens up a variety of opportunities for students. They can use it in their jobs or even be more likely to know how to communicate with people if they decide they want to travel the world. 

School is a place where students come to learn in a comfortable environment. They’re are more likely to learn a language better at schools because they’re already used to paying attention in class.