FVHS Honors Hispanic Heritage Month

The first ever Hispanic Heritage month was in 1986, and it happens from Sept. 15 until Oct. 15. This month was made in honor of the Hispanic/Latino American population that makes up an essential part of the America’s history and culture. Hispanics make up around 19 percent of the United States, which means that there are around 63.7 million Hispanic people in the United States. Not only that, but 9.28 percent of the world are Hispanics, which is over 600 million all over the world.

This month honors the days that these countries gained independence from Spain. The reason that Hispanic Heritage Month takes place during Sept. 15 through Oct. 15 is due to many Central American countries celebrating their independence days during these dates.

On Sept. 15 the countries being celebrated are Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Sept. 16 belongs to Mexico, while Sept. 18 is for Chile. Lastly, Sept. 21 celebrates Belize. All these countries wanted to achieve being independent from Spain due to the heavy restrictions placed on them. Due to the weak and powerless ruler, Spain overall just wasn’t focused on the people of their countries. 

Some famous hispanic celebrities are Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, Shakira, and Luis Fonsi. Selena Quintanilla-Pérez was a famous singer that was given the name “The queen of Tejano music.” One of her most famous songs is “Como La Flor.” Devastatingly, she died in 1995 at age 23. Shakira is a Colombian singer and songwriter who is the number one selling Latina artist. Some of her most well-known songs are “Hips Don’t Lie” and “Waka Waka,” which were huge hits due to her voice and belly dancing skills.

Lastly, another famous Latino artist is Luis Fonsi, who during 2017 had a huge success in his music career with the song “Despacito.” It was made in collaboration with Daddy Yankee, who is also Latino artist. It surpassed one of the most famous Latino songs by the name of “Macarena” that had its title as number one since 1996. “Despacito” also reached number one most watched YouTube video of all time, and now is still on the board of the top five, reaching an impressive rank of number two.

The positive impacts that Hispanic Heritage Month brings is promoting inclusivity and sharing cultures and traditions. 

A sophmore from Garner Magnet High School, Ashley Samantha Guardado said, “It gives us a chance to show the world how we live and what we do and everything about our culture. It also helps us Hispanics inform and share to people who have never learned anything about our culture, which could be very exciting for some.”  

Thanks to this month, people are able to share and connect when it comes to their own tradition and cultural expression. Hispanic Heritage Month is not restricted, it is open to anyone who wants to celebrate it and learn about Hispanic culture. 

Senior Anylah Williams said, “I have a lot of people I love in my life who celebrate this month, so I also like to celebrate with them in any way.”