Should excused absences prevent students from going to Prom?

Stephany Ortiz
Excused absences are counted towards your eligibility to go to prom, however students disagree for plenty of reasons. Created on Canva.

Students with more than ten absences, excused or unexcused, are not allowed to attend Prom. Our school should allow students with ten or more excused absences to attend Prom.

The Prom happens once every year, where students get to dress in their best dresses and suits according to the theme. Loud music booms on the dance floor as you scream the lyrics of songs with your friends. It’s an opportunity for students to experience their dream high school life.

This year’s flu season has been awful. Many students have gotten sick and were not able to attend school for many consecutive days. Having barely any energy to do anything, once students are back in school, they are punished by not being able to attend Prom. 

“I think that students with excused absences should be able to attend prom. Being punished by taking away one of the few entertainments in school should not apply to students with excused absences because of circumstances outside the student’s control,” said senior Maria Luz.

Prom is one of the biggest events in school, especially for seniors. Taking away their opportunity to attend prom is like taking away their entertainment and motivation. 

Luz claimed, “Excused absence means the excuse was valid. Why should there be punishment for being sick? It makes no sense.”

Being punished for being sick is ridiculous. Flu season has affected many students, making them stay home for many days.

It is understandable if the student was absent without an excuse because there is a possibility that they skipped a class or skipped school. That is when the punishment should apply. 

The school needs to acknowledge students with excused absences can go to prom. There are circumstances that they can not control which would not be fair.