Soccer Team

Fuquay Varina High Schools 2023 Soccer Team. Taken by Andrea Schermer.

The varsity soccer team is playing very well, and despite Monday’s defeat the team remains first in the conference./

After a tough start, the soccer team has begun to turn the season around. The team knows each other better, and team play has improved.

Junior Evan Kraemer’s  position changed from midfielder to winger which is proving to be a great change, as the Bengals’ attack has improved considerably. He has 5 goals in the last 4 games, scoring a hat-trick in the match against Corinth Holders, in which the team would score 6 goals.

The team is very excited to be ranked first in the conference. They see themselves with options to finish first in the conference and fight for the playoffs.

They have very winnable games left, so they see themselves with options. They are only worried about one game, that of our neighbors from Willow Springs, who have shown that they can play at a high level, even though they lost against our team 5-2.

On Wednesday, the team beat South East Raleigh by 5 goals to 2.

This match could have ended with a result much more in our favor but the coach wanted to give more minutes to the bench players.

The starting goalkeeper, junior Juan Drake,did not play the game. In his place the substitute goalkeeper, freshman Jackson Forrest, played and had a good game.

The first goal was from Gavin Corbett, who had a hand against the goalkeeper thanks to a great pass from Jose Garcia-Mendez. The second was scored by Braxton Schermer in another heads-up. Cristian Liberto would take the third, with a pass that would let him finish off Johan Rodriguez alone. The fourth was a penalty scored by Keaton Blanchard. The fifth was from Johan Rodriguez who would score after a great individual play.

The team only has four more games to play, and is still in first position in the conference, so there are many options to qualify for the playoffs. Cleveland High School is right behind, equal on points, but if the team wins all the games it would qualify one hundred percent.