Biggest “what-ifs” in sports history

What are some of the biggest “what-ifs” in sports history?
Erin Fahringer

Do you ever wonder what would happen if certain situations in sports never occurred? Like what if the youngest MVP in NBA history Derrick Rose never got injured? Would he be one of the greatest to play the sport? It is believed he would be one of the greatest basketball players of all time because of his young potential, but it is now too late because he is too old.

What if Drew Bledsoe ran out of bounds instead of trying to run for the first down? Would Tom Brady be the greatest quarterback of all time?

Bledsoe was the quarterback for the New England Patriots in the 2001 NFL season. During the fourth quarter versus the New York Jets, Bledsoe scrambled for a first down but fell short due to Jets linebacker Mo Lewis who hit Bledsoe, causing him to shear a blood vessel in his chest. Due to this injury, backup quarterback Tom Brady was put in the game. What would happen if Bledsoe never got injured? Would Brady have gotten a chance? Most people believe that Brady would not have been the greatest because he never would’ve gotten a chance. After the injury, Bledsoe went to the Dallas Cowboys and Brady became the starting quarterback and won six Super Bowls with the Patriots.

What if Ray Allen never hit the game-tying three-pointer in game six against the San Antonio Spurs? Allen was a guard for the Miami Heat during the 2013 season. The Heat made it to the finals that year, facing the San Antonio Spurs.

With seven seconds left in game six, and the Spurs were leading 3-2 in the series, Allen made a tough corner three to tie the game 95-95. The Heat won the game 103-100 in overtime and later won the championship in game seven with the final being 95-88. So what would have happened if Allen never hit the tying three-pointer? It’s pretty simple. The San Antonio Spurs would be the NBA champions, and the Heat’s dynasty would slowly come to an end because they would have traded all of their players away to rebuild.

“I watch Ray do that every day,” said LeBron James via Uninterrupted.

What if Michael Jordan never took a break from basketball? Would he be the greatest basketball player ever? 

Michael Jordan was a guard for the Chicago Bulls who arguably is the greatest basketball player of all time. After winning his third straight championship with the Bulls, Jordan took a break from basketball on Oct. 6, 1993, and returned on March 18, 1995. After his return, he won three more championships in 1996, 1997, and 1998. So what would happen if he never took a break? He would easily have been better than LeBron James and there wouldn’t even be an argument. 

There are many unanswered questions about what would have happened to some athletes if a certain situation never occurred. The important thing here is to make sure to take your shot when you get the opportunity.