Fuquay-Varina Special Olympics 2024 inspires inclusivity

Students came out to support and cheer on the student athletes who participated in our Special Olympics.
Ella Wachtel

Fuquay Varina High School hosted the Special Olympics for middle school and high school students from the special education classes on May 3 on the Bengals turf field. 

Special Olympics are held around the world in support of community and inclusion globally. It doesn’t just include those with disabilities, but involves everyone in order to show support for all people in the community. 

Not only was the school involved, but the Fuquay Varina Police Department was too. It was a great way to gain support from the community for our FVHS students. 

“This morning, our officers had the immense honor of leading the incredible Unified Sports students from Fuquay-Varina High School and Fuquay-Varina Middle School onto the FVHS Field,” said the Fuquay Varina Police Department via Instagram.

To start the events, everyone involved walked on the track to the field with a torch like the Olympics. Then, senior Mia Mancini sang the National Anthem to signal the start the games.

In the beginning and during events, music was playing. This encouraged a happy and fun environment that involved students singing and dancing both on and off the field. 

There were a lot of activities which included kicking a ball into a smaller goal, and different running events. Every athlete had the opportunity to try them all and place on the podium. At the end of the day, all the athletes were winners.

The support from the community and student body was important in the success of the Olympics. It made the athletes feel empowered and accepted by the whole school. 

“We couldn’t be prouder to stand alongside these amazing athletes. Their spirit and determination inspire us every day, and today was no exception! A huge shoutout to all the students, coaches, volunteers, and everyone who made today’s event possible,” said the FVPD via Instagram