Summer break should be not shortened

Sunrise over Wrightsville beach
Sunrise over Wrightsville beach
Joshua Loughren

Some people argue that summer break, at about two and a half months, is too long. According to the article “Desert Sun,” a teacher from California said, “I do think we should consider shortening it because the pace and rhythm of the current academic calendar is completely out of whack.”

But students think summer break should not be shorter. 

“No, I do not think summer break is too long. I think by it being three months, it gives students a good break between the school years and a time they can spend outdoors and with friends, not worrying about school or assignments,” said junior Chris Papagianneris.

Summer break should be kept the same length. Students should have opportunities to go on trips, like camping or beach trips, without having to worry about school work. 

Although a long summer break is great, it should not be any longer than two and a half months.

“I like to spend time with friends and. It’s great to have the time to do so. But I feel like if summertime was longer, it might conflict with the school scheduling and cause drastic changes, such as our graduation or students’ motivation for school,” said junior Kayleigh Harrison.

Harrison has a point. If we were to extend the summer break any longer, we would have to take exams earlier, which messes with the schedule of semesters. 

If we were to shorten summer break, the academic schedules might spread out, giving teachers a break, without getting buried in piles of paper, but students should have the opportunity to rest without worrying about schoolwork.