Annual dance concert taking place May 2

Dance students at FVHS eagerly wait for the arrival for the Spring concert, May 2, 2024.
Ella Wachtel

The Fuquay Varina dance classes will be holding their annual dance concert on Thursday, May 2, 2024.

Each period will be doing different styles of dances to create a variety for the show. Each class will have different styles of dances that they perform ranging from jazz and tap to contemporary and lyrical.

“[The dance] depends on the class. My class has a fun jazz one and also a very emotional contemporary one,” said sophomore Reaghan Retseck.

The classes have worked for a while to both choreograph and practice these dances. They work together as a team by focusing on staying in sync with each other, but they also work as an individual to make sure that each part of the dance is performed correctly and on time.

Over the past couple of weeks leading up to the performance, the team has put extra time and effort into perfecting the little pieces of the dance and creating an amazing visual for the audience on concert day.

“We started with choreography and spots and especially these last couple weeks we have worked on cleaning the dances,” said Retseck.

The most important part of ensuring the performance runs smoothly is making sure that everyone on the team is on the same page. Currently, the team has been recording themselves dancing to catch small mistakes that could throw off the show.

“We record it then watch ourselves to make sure everyone is in sync and doing the right moves,” said junior Gabriella Franks, a member of the second period dance class.

The team is excited to show off the hard work and dedication they have put into this dance on May 2. Tickets are available now for purchase here and donations are also accepted with gratitude. Tickets are $5 per person at the door with cash, or $6 per person when purchased online.