FVHS should have late arrival option

Students at Fuquay-Varina High School think that late arrival should be implemented.
Erin Fahringer

Students have the option to be released early depending on what type of classes they are taking. Most students at FVHS gain accessibility to these options usually around junior and senior year, allowing students to take advanced classes or work off campus. But there is still no option for a late entrance, which would be beneficial to many students.

Students who can obtain good sleep helps them have better health and the ability to focus more. It was stated by the Sleep Foundation that it is ideal for students to go to bed at 9:30 to 10:00 p.m. But since teens melatonin is released around 11 pm, they don’t fall asleep as early as recommended for a high schooler, who needs 8 to 10 hours of sleep. 

If students are expected to rest well, that would start from around 7:30 to 8:00 p.m., leading them to wake up somewhere around 6-7 a.m. Students then spend seven hours of the day in school, leaving only around five to six hours to do homework, extracurriculars, work, and other activities. This causes a tight and stressful schedule for students. 

“If I could enter later, I would sleep in more, and dedicate more time to my sports and studying,” said sophomore Ciara Hassig.

A total of 30 percent of high school students work for a portion of a school year according to Walden University. This does not include the fact that some students have extracurricular activities and home duties. Students who are employed usually have twice the chance of having insomnia and sleeping issues. 

During teen years, teens’ brains produce melatonin later at night when compared to kids’ and adult brains. Therefore, it already causes an issue for students’ learning since they are not getting enough sleep, as well as mental health problems which usually start to arise during high school years. A total of 20 to 30 percent of students fall asleep in class every day according to NPR.

“It could cause fewer tardies and absences and may encourage students to come in, and would also be taken advantage of by students to benefit their schedules,” said sophomore Zoey Spurlock.

Many students who work during their high school years may get off late, or they may have school work they need to catch up on causing them to disrupt their sleeping schedule. If we were to have a late arrival option, it could increase the chances of students getting better sleep as well as grades due to having more energy to be attentive and more willing to learn. This change could be beneficial to students’ schedules.