‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Live-Action Review

Ella Wachtel
Fans were excited to see the new “Avatar the Last Airbender” Netflix show after the live action had been a let down for many.

Based on the beloved 2000s animated show, the new live-action rendition of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” was released on Netflix on Feb. 22, 2024. The show follows the story of Aang, a young boy destined to save the world by learning to master bending four elements: water, earth, fire, and air.

After a poorly received live-action movie was made, fans were very excited to see what this new show had in store. The casting for the Netflix show was accepted well by fans

, due to its inclusion of Asian and indigenous actors, more accurate to the animated show’s characters. Although, the actor cast for Sokka, Ian Ousley, has faced recent controversy over being part of a fraudulent Cherokee tribe.

Additionally, some fans are disappointed by Netflix’s version of the story. Some critical elements that developed the story were not present in the live-action version or were mixed in with other parts of the story.

Another controversial topic fans weren’t happy about was the removal of the character Sokka’s misogyny. In the animated version, this is a character flaw he overcomes, which can help teach children to not make the same mistakes. Still, Netflix decided to scrap the side plot entirely, which fans think was a bad idea.

“I’m upset they took out his sexism because that’s a big part of his character arc, and he feels incredibly flat without it,” said senior Asher Bradford.

Bradford also feels some other characters are bland. 

“They also took out a lot of Katara’s character which is upsetting because they’re not going to show her overcoming and dealing with her trauma,” said Bradford.

However, some fans are grateful this new show is a better reboot than most usually are. 

“I’m glad it’s better than the 2010 movie, and I think the special effects are pretty good,” said junior Eva Christiana.

Regardless, the Netflix adaptation has done very well since its release, and with two more seasons on the way, fans are excited about how the story will play out.