Five Most Anticipated Movies of 2024

Ella Wachtel
Viewers get excited for new movies to come out later in the year.

Going to the movie theater and watching a blockbuster movie on the big screen is one of the most incredible experiences anyone can have. Movies have become an essential part of the entertainment world because they allow you to escape from reality and enter a new world with different people, rules, and ideas. 

While 2023 was an excellent year for Barbie lovers and atomic bomb fanatics, 2024 is going to be a groundbreaking year in film. It will change the trajectory of movie production and the expectations for blockbuster movies. Here are the five most anticipated movies for 2024.

“Twisters,” a sequel to the classic 1996 action-adventure film, “Twister,” is coming in at number five. “Twister” is a cult classic that stars Bill Paxton, who has been in multiple Oscar-winning films, and Academy Award winner Helen Hunt. 

“Twister” takes place in rural Oklahoma, where storm chasers are using a new technological device to track storms called Dorothy. However, they are not the only holders of Dorothy; local private rival Dr. Jonas Miller has created a replica and is using it to track storms.  

“Twisters” follows the same plot, although you can expect an even crazier experience with up-and-coming actor Glen Powell. Powell has appeared as Hangman in “Top Gun: Maverick” and in the romantic-comedy hit movie “Anyone But You.” 

“Twisters” is 100 percent recommended to be seen in theaters. It immerses you in the world of rural western Oklahoma. The film comes out July 19, 2024. 

Coming in at number four is a sequel in one of the most thrilling and bone-shaking horror series of all time, “A Quiet Place: Day One.” With two movies under their belt and over $630 million made at the box office, the next movie in the “A Quiet Place” series is a must-watch.

The film’s writers, Michael Sarnoski and John Krasinski, have crafted one of the most interesting takes on a post-apocalyptic world. 

The new film, “A Quiet Place: Day One,” takes place in the Big Apple (New York City) on the day the apocalypse began. You can expect to see Joseph Quinn, Lupita Nyong’o, and Djimon Hounsou take over the third movie of the “A Quiet Place” saga. 

“It’s more of a character drama than anything. The script is obviously set in the world we know, but it’s very much a film about these two characters who are lost and trying to negotiate their fates,” Quinn said about the new film via EW News.  

With so much hype surrounding the third film in a horror saga, there are high expectations for Krasinski to deliver again. “A Quiet Place: Day One” will be released in theaters on June 28, 2024, and will be the must-see horror event of the year!

The third-place film is “Gladiator 2.” With a star-studded cast and a sequel to one of the best action stories of all time, Gladiator 2 has to live up to high expectations. The original “Gladiator” won five Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actor in 2001.

“Gladiator” takes place in 180 AD in the Roman Empire. Russell Crowe’s character, Maximus, seeks revenge after being sent into slavery by a corrupt emperor, played by Joaquin Phoenix, who murdered his family and sent him into slavery. 

Although both movies take place about 20 years apart in the Roman Empire, the second film has few plot changes. 

“Gladiator 2” takes place after “Gladiator” and follows Lucius Commodus’s nephew, played by Paul Mescal. He has been nominated for an Oscar and won a BAFTA for his leading role in “Aftersun.” 

Mescal believes that his role in “Gladiator 2” could have possible impacts on his everyday life and his mental health. 

“I don’t know what the difference will be. Is it that more people will stop me in the street? I would get profoundly depressed, and I’d have to move on and do an obtuse play nobody wants to see,” said Mescal via the UK Times. 

Crowe became a superstar after playing Maximus, and his life changed forever after his career-defining role. With other superstars like Denzel Washington, Pedro Pascal, and Barry Keoghan, this movie is a must-see coming out on November 22, 2024.

The number two spot is “Deadpool and Wolverine,” which is the third movie in a trilogy about the infamous comic book character, Deadpool. 

Already a huge success in modern action/comedic cinema, “Deadpool and Wolverine” is one of the most hyped-up action movies of the year. With Ryan Reynolds playing the charismatic superhuman Deadpool and Hugh Jackman playing the razor-sharp Wolverine, it is a must-see on the big screen this summer.

In the third film, Deadpool is pulled from his quiet life to the TVA (TimeVarianceAuthority) along with Wolverine to save and change the course of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Director Shawn Levy noticed the connection between Reynolds and Jackman on set for “Deadpool and Wolverine,” and recognized its effect on the finishing product of an amazing action film.

“I knew they were professionals. I knew they were the loveliest of gentlemen, but when you see them as Deadpool and Wolverine, something electric happens,” said Levy via PEOPLE. 

“Deadpool and Wolverine” will conclude this chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He will always be remembered as the guy in the tight-red suit who is vulnerable to any weapon or torture device. The film will be released in theaters on July 26, 2024.

The number one spot is “Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga.” “Furiosa” is the second movie in the modern Mad Max: Fury Road saga, and the expectations are even higher than those for “Gladiator 2.”  In 2016, “Fury Road” took home 7 out of the 10 Oscars it was nominated for. 

“Fury Road” takes place in an apocalyptic future where the world is a mere wasteland run by warlord Immortan Joe. Charlize Theron plays Furiosa, a warrior who kidnaps the tyrant’s five wives and tries to escape the wasteland while fighting with former captive Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy). 

While the first movie stars A-list actors like Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, and Zoe Kravitz, “Furiosa” will also feature star-studded performances.

“Furiosa” will star “The Queen’s Gambit” actress Anya Taylor-Joy and Thor himself, Chris Hemsworth. The movie will take place 15-20 years before “Fury Road.” It will show Furiosa falling into the hands of the warlord Dr. Dementus (Chris Hemsworth) and their sweep throughout the futuristic wasteland. Hemsworth thinks of his role as Dr. Dementus is more than a mere background character.

“There’s an intensity to him. He has been birthed into a space where it’s kill or be killed, and he has learned to rule with an iron fist. There’s a charisma to him, and it’s a very manipulative charisma,” said Hemsworth via British GQ. 

“Furiosa” will be released on May 24, 2024. It is going to be one of the enormous blockbuster hits this year and will have one of the best chances to reach $1 billion at the box office, with a die-hard fanbase. 

With so many awesome action, adventure, and thriller movies coming out in 2024, the quality of Hollywood movies is going to revive. This year is going to be great for film and will bring back the joy that makes movies so awesome!