The Legacy of ABBA

“You are the dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine,” states the song “Dancing Queen” by ABBA. Generations of listeners have heard the Recording Academy’s Grammy Hall of Fame song. Unfortunately many don’t know of the impact and legacy that ABBA has left behind for the genre of pop.  

For those who haven’t heard of the Swedish pop group, ABBA is a band that initially began in 1972 back in Stockholm, Sweden. 

ABBA is an acronym of the members’ initials: Agnetha Fältskog (Main Vocalist), Björn Ulvaeus (Songwriter), Benny Andersson (Composer), and Anni-Frid Lyngstad (Main Vocalist). 

The success of the band first skyrocketed after winning the Eurovision Song Contest back in 1974 with their song “Waterloo.” After, they would continue their success internationally with hit songs like “Mamma Mia,” “Gimmie Gimmie a Chance,” “Dancing Queen,” and “Chiquitita.” 

Senior Peyton King stated, “Another hit made by ABBA, ‘Money, Money, Money,’ is my personal favorite due to its catchy lyrics and infectious rhythm.”

They would build a legacy that would be known for generations to come. ABBA would come to an abrupt end in 1982 due to internal conflicts. Following the end of ABBA, the main vocalists would continue into solo careers. However, Ulvaeus and Andersson would collaborate on musicals and other journeys. 

One of these musicals that Andersson and Ulvaeus were executive producers on is the 2008 film “Mamma Mia!”

“Mamma Mia!” is one of a kind due to the musical creating a story using the iconic songs from ABBA. The movie stars Hollywood legends like Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård, Amanda Seyfried, and many more. The film grossed over $600 million worldwide. 

The movie’s success also brought a whole new generation of fans to the beloved band.

Junior Brooke Dilley stated, “The film impacted me in different ways like it made me love musicals even more and engaged my love of ABBA too.”

However, after nearly three decades of the ABBA break, they would surprise their fans in 2018 with the album “Voyage,”  which included 10 new songs; the album would even receive five Grammy nominations.  

Senior Skye Blackburn stated, “ABBA is something that really influenced the past, the present, and future generations.”

Then ABBA would break the world again in 2021 when they announced the ABBAtar concert. The ABBAtar concert is an original experience made by “Industrial Light and Magic” where holograms of the core four perform for the audience. The hologram’s movements were captured by the originals, but the holograms look like the four during their golden years.  ABBA uses this experience to promote its music and to honor the legacy it built. The stadium is located in London, and they plan to continue until April 2026.