Keeping our school clean

Ella Wachtel
Students continue to not pick up after themselves, leaving the custodians with more to clean up.

Taking pride and responsibility in keeping our school grounds clean benefits many aspects of the community and life at school. 

The cleanliness of FVHS relies on more than just custodians. The student body is also responsible for doing their part in cleaning up trash they have produced and left behind. 

Maintaining a clean campus benefits more than just students and staff, and it also benefits the environment. It keeps trash where it needs to go, and eliminates trash from ending up outside and polluting our community.

Keeping our campus clean creates a more comfortable space for students to effectively learn and do their best work. 

Junior and Co-President of the Juniorettes at FVHS, Megan Perry, stated, “Keeping our school clean is not only important for sanitary reasons but it’s vital to give an optimal high school experience for students, teachers, and other staff by providing a healthier environment that we all feel good learning in.” 

If there’s trash lying around, it attracts bugs and pests around the building. This is especially important to pay attention to in classes like Foods and Nutrition, due to the danger it poses when working with and handling food, as well as in the cafeteria where students eat. 

“The reason why I keep my classroom clean is because of the food safety issue,” said Foods and Nutrition teacher Kelly Elliott. 

Urging students to make sure classrooms stay clean also helps with classroom function. 

Elliott stated, “I also keep my classroom clean because it teaches students to be organized and helps with classroom management.”

The Juniorettes, a club at FVHS, is active in community service and works on bettering our school. Recently, the Juniorettes worked with our janitorial staff in an event, Clean Up With Custodians Day. 

Perry stated, “The event was more successful in the past years than it was this season, I attribute that mostly to the immense amount of service events available currently that might have taken away eyes, but I still feel that a good amount of students participated to get the custodians the help they needed.” 

Although the turnout for this event dwindled this year, it is still a beneficial and rewarding experience to take part in. 

Perry stated, “I would love to see it build as a tradition at FVHS, and I know Kaitlyn [Matthews] and I, as the continuing presidents for Juniorettes through next year will make sure it happens in 2024 as well.”

Students can do their part to keep the school nice and clean. Doing so, makes our school a better environment for learning. 

“Picking up trash when you see it, no matter how small or big, disposing of items properly, and staying organized are all ways to achieve personal cleanliness that contribute to the overall school,” said Perry.

Participating in clean-up events like the one hosted by the Juniorettes impacts our school for the better. If the student body does their part in maintaining the cleanliness of the school, it helps out our custodial staff. They work hard to keep our school tidy, and their work is very appreciated.