The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Are books still relevant?

With+the+availability+and+access+to+digital+entertainment%2C+some+people+question+whether+physical+books+are+still+relevant.+
Joshua Loughren
With the availability and access to digital entertainment, some people question whether physical books are still relevant.

As books lose popularity in favor of television and movies, it’s important to remember how influential literacy is in our society. Books can help tell stories for people too afraid to share their own or can transport you to an entirely different world.

Books that are set in fantasy worlds allow for an interesting story that doesn’t have to comply with normal rules.

“I like the ‘Locked Tomb’ series. It’s sci-fi fantasy and the plot twists are so unpredictable,” said senior Bia Moreira.

Additionally, many people enjoy the way fantasy books set up intricate worlds unlike our own.

“I really like how unique the world building is, and how the author portrays each planet; the books really suck you in,” said Moreira.

It doesn’t take a large number of books in a series to create a well written and cohesive story.

“There are currently three books in the series, with a fourth one to be released. They each have their own perks, and the first one is really funny,” said Moreira.

Dystopian books are a good way to show flawed characters and dynamics between characters.

“Katniss Everdeen from ‘The Hunger Games’ is an unperfect protagonist that struggles with PTSD and other mental health issues, which provides extra complexity to her role as the hero,” said senior Leah Warner.

Additionally, these books allow stories to be told that most people wouldn’t normally think about, but are possible scenarios for an unkind future.

“The books challenge the idea that a true hero must be innately perfect and deliver an intense political commentary,” said Warner.

Books are a great way for authors to express creativity, and for readers to insert themselves into a new world with new characters. Even though books aren’t performing as well as they used to in sales, they are still a key way to tell stories.