The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Greatest impact on American sports

Ella Wachtel
Over the years, there have been many people who have changed football, basketball, and baseball for the better.

In the world of American sports, a few remarkable individuals stand out for the huge impact they’ve had on football, basketball, and baseball.

Vince Lombardi, a coaching titan, left an indelible mark on football. Leading the Green Bay Packers to five championships in the 1960s, Lombardi’s disciplined approach and his pursuit of excellence earned him legendary status. 

Beyond the gridiron, Lombardi advocated for equality during a time of racial tension, standing as a beacon of integrity and fairness. The Super Bowl trophy gained its name from Lombardi, so without him, we wouldn’t have the Lombardi Trophy.

Michael Jordan’s name is synonymous with basketball greatness. His six NBA championships with the Chicago Bulls and five MVP awards cemented his status as the greatest player of all time.

Jordan’s unparalleled skill, competitiveness, and iconic moments on the court captivated fans worldwide. Off the court, he revolutionized athlete endorsements with his wildly popular Air Jordan sneakers, reshaping the sports marketing landscape.

Jordan is debatably the greatest basketball player of all time, so his impact on the sport will be remembered forever.

“He didn’t have to sit up there and recruit dudes to come. What he did was they built from within what’s what they did,” said Stephen A. Smith via ESPN.

Jackie Robinson’s entry into Major League Baseball in 1947 shattered racial barriers and changed the game forever. Enduring discrimination and hostility, Robinson showcased extraordinary talent and courage, paving the way for future generations of athletes. 

Every year, baseball honors Robinson’s legacy on Jackie Robinson Day, commemorating his pivotal role in advancing civil rights and social progress. Robinson made such an impact on the sport that they made a movie about him called “42,” which comes from his jersey number.

These three icons—Vince Lombardi, Michael Jordan, and Jackie Robinson—have left an unforgettable mark on American sports. It is too hard to decide on who has left the biggest impact, but their remarkable achievements and enduring legacies continue to inspire athletes and fans alike, reminding us of the true power of sports.