The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Best North Carolina college

What is the best college in North Carolina, Duke, NC State, UNC, or ECU?
Erin Fahringer

North Carolina is home to over 85 colleges and universities. Some of NC’s most well-known colleges are Duke, the University of North Carolina, East Carolina University, NC State, and many others. 

Every North Carolina College is known for a different type of education, such as sports, engineering, and design. If you are looking to go to a college in North Carolina, there are many options for you to pick from.

Your college choice depends on if you want to go for your desired sport to be on the team, or what you want to major in for your career. A good school in North Carolina is UNC Chapel Hill for both education and sports. This school is known for leadership majors and education in research. They are also ranked number one in the state for sports. 

The most popular college among FVHS students is NC State. NC State is great in math, engineering, and sports programs. NC State is one of the best options because of its good acceptance rates and costs. 

Duke University is a private college known for its amazing basketball program, which was home to NBA superstar, Zion Williamson, who was drafted back in 2019. That being said, some people in North Carolina dislike Duke because they don’t like the players on the team and have a casual following. Duke is also somewhat overrated in their basketball program.

UNC Chapel Hill is one of the most famous colleges located in North Carolina. It’s also home to one of the best NBA players alive, Michael Jordan. They specialize in public service and athletics and is one of the most environmentally friendly colleges. 

Finally, there is East Carolina University located in Greenville, North Carolina. Popular majors at ECU are related in the medical field, including dentistry and engineering. While this school is not known for athletics, it’s a highly-rated school. I don’t like ECU because of the mascot and players on the football team.

That all being said, out of all the amazing universities North Carolina is home to, I think  NC State is one of the best here. It’s located pretty close to us, has a beautiful campus and has a big following sport-wise.