The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

This or That: Walmart vs Target

Erin Fahringer
Two mass product stores go at each other in this week’s edition of This Or That

The debate of Walmart vs Target is not new. For years, people only shopped at one store and would poke fun at the other store and their customers. Over the years, the stereotypes for each store are vastly different.  

The stereotype of the Walmart customer is that of a lower class customer.  We’ve all seen the memes and images of the so-called “Walmart People.” The primary focus of these customers is to pay the lowest price.

The Walmart customer base tends to be more politically conservative also. The Walmart customer is proud that it is an American company, with select stores selling guns, and they make fun of Target because they don’t.  

The stereotype of the Target shopper is of a more affluent person that is willing to pay more for better quality products. Targets tend to have Starbucks located within their stores. Overall, shopping at Target is a more elevated experience than Walmart.  

But which store is better?  Also, what store is the favorite among FVHS students?  The FVHS newspaper staff did a little research, and here’s what they found.  

The findings show that Walmart makes over half its earnings from groceries and is the nation’s largest grocer. Most people are buying their milk, bread, and daily household essentials at Walmart. In stark contrast, Target’s grocery earnings are only a fraction of their total sales.  

Target makes their money primarily from clothing, home decor, and non-essential products. Their clothing and home decor lines are better quality and more stylish while bringing in big name designers to produce a line specifically for Target.  

Our newspaper staff asked fellow FVHS students about the store they most frequent.  

Sophomore Yug Sarin said, “My family goes to Walmart more than Target.”  A large percentage of the students mirrored this opinion.  

Since the economy has gone down and inflation has been on the rise, most families are trying to save money when they can.  Cost of living is higher and groceries are more expensive. So people are thinking twice before buying non-essential items.  

The current economy and spending shift has resulted in Target’s earnings to take a dive in recent months while Walmart continues to rise. Until inflation decreases, it seems Walmart will remain the victor.