The Voice of Fuquay-Varina High School

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Roaring Bengals

Who’s the GOAT: James or Jordan?

Joshua Loughren
Is Lebron James or Michael Jordan the GOAT?

In the world of basketball, there’s a timeless debate about who’s the greatest of all time. The main argument is between two basketball legends, Michael Jordan and Lebron James.

Many believe James to be the greatest because he isn’t just about scoring points and playing offense like Jordan was. He’s an all-around player that is able to play good defense along with his amazing offensive ability.

In Jordan’s defense, he has won a total of six NBA finals out of six NBA finals played. James on the other hand has only won four out of ten total NBA finals. 

“He (Lebron James) never was, he never has been, nor will he ever be greater than Michael Jordan,” said Steven A. Smith, sports analyst via ESPN.

In contrast to the NBA finals statistic, Jordan had 14 NBA All Star appearances compared to James 20 All Star appearances, with James still being an active player and a high chance at more appearances throughout the rest of his career.

James has been able to show his longevity in the league, as he is still an active and high scoring player, as he approaches 40 years old, while playing 21 seasons in the NBA. Jordan only played 15 seasons in the NBA and retired for his final time in 2003.

Outside of the court, something that sets James apart is how he uses his fame to make a positive impact. He speaks up for important issues like social justice and helps out communities. He’s not just a basketball player; he’s a role model.

The argument for Jordan is purely based on total championships; however, Jordan had stacked up teams with many good teammates, whereas James has carried and brought multiple below average teams far into playoffs with his dominance and skill on the court.

Since Jordan’s time, basketball has changed a lot, from more of a two-point shooting, loose defense style of play, to a longer range playstyle with more three-point shots, and active, aggressive defense. The defense that Jordan played against made scoring many points and dominating on offense easier for players.

Over their careers, James has scored over 40,000 points; in comparison, Jordan has only scored 32,000. An 8,000 point difference between the two emphasizes the fact of James’ dominance on the court and clear standing in the GOAT conversation.

Both Jordan and James are basketball legends; however, a combination of a more difficult defense that James has faced, and a more all-round style of play, makes Lebron James the greatest of all time.

View Comments (1)