Sports gambling legalized in NC

Companies+like+Fanduel+and+DraftKings+will+be+operating+online+betting+coming+to+NC+on+March+11.+
Public domain
Companies like Fanduel and DraftKings will be operating online betting coming to NC on March 11.

Sports fans in North Carolina are excited over the new legalization of sports betting going into effect on Monday, March 11, 2024.

Multiple platforms such as YouTube, Hulu and Spotify have been heavily advertising DraftKings Sportsbook and Fanduel coming to NC. Before this new legislation passed in the summer of 2023, the most recent action towards sports gambling was in 2019, when it was decided that sports gambling would be legalized at tribal casinos in NC. Until the 2019 decision, sports gambling was not legal anywhere in the state of North Carolina due to a federal law which made it illegal in 1992.

The new legislation permits sports gambling in NC for those 21 and older. This legalization has opened the gates for companies like DraftKings Sportsbook to expand into NC. 

With March Madness coming up, sports betting will be a hot topic among fans. 

“Basketball and football are going to get people to make and lose the most money in the upcoming seasons because they are the most popular sports,” said senior Gunnar McKinnon.

Although the state of North Carolina is excited to have this new pastime, there are also concerns that some younger adults may not have enough experience with money to manage their spending. Some wonder if this legalization will lead to gambling addiction and poverty in young adults.

“My hope is that young adults become educated on the impacts it could have on their lives and the risks before they gamble,” said Fuquay-Varina High School Athletic Director James Mountford.

With sports gambling quickly approaching, there will be a lot of talk about the effects and risks of gambling, but we will see how everything plays out on Monday, March 11, 2024.