Can we survive on another planet?

Public domain
The debate of whether people could survive and create a lasting society on another planet has been discussed by everyday people as well as scientists. Although it would be an interesting experience, it is unlikely people would be able to survive.

There are many real reasons why we can not live on another planet. There are also moral reasons why we should not live on another planet, even if the requirements of being able to survive physically were met. 

The scientific reason why we cannot live on another planet is that there is not enough water or oxygen anywhere other than the Earth. The placement of where the planet sits is also important, also known as the Goldilocks Zone. If the Earth shifts its position closer to or further away from the sun, we would melt or freeze to death. 

The radiation would be too high and the gravity could also be far different from Earth, causing difficulties as we move because it is different from the Earth. Therefore, we scientifically cannot physically live on another planet. 

Junior Biruktyet Dereje said, “I think we will be able to survive. However, we might not know who or what is on the planet, so exploring it with other people would be fun. The conflict that comes with being on a new land. We should be able to compromise because there are plentiful resources.”

Dereje believes war is pointless, especially over land and resources. We had enough experience on Earth which Dereje believes we can improve on another planet.

“If the planet was nothing like Earth, we would not survive. We are not skilled enough to survive when we are barely surviving the Earth. If it was like the Earth and we were to collectively live on it, we would have the same survival and death rates,” claimed junior Alana Bullock.

If the requirements of sustainable living on another planet are met, it is only a matter of time before conflicts begin. Humans were made to possess something they want which creates conflicts. Even on another planet, the conflicts will never end.