Road rage incident engulfs local media

Ella Wachtel
A shooting occurred in front of Fuquay Varina Elementary school on Dec. 7, 2023.

Two drivers engaged in gunfire near Fuquay Varina Elementary School on Dec. 7, 2023. Although the event that took place was loud and an attraction to locals of the area, neither of the drivers were identified or caught. Neither driver was hurt on the scene.

Lt. Richard Conerly, commander and coordinator for the case, helped answer some unanswered questions. When asked about the kind of evidence that there was, he revealed that there were “shell cases located” and a “firearm that was seized on scene.”

Despite the weapon of action being found, it does not tie into the perpetrator of the shooting.

Conerly stated that the shooting had taken place, “Right there at the carpool line.” 

On the same day another road rage incident was reported on  I-540 and was speculated to be of the same origins as the case. When  Conerly was questioned, he said  the elementary school incident was “isolated” and that any other case would be in a “different jurisdiction.”

Overall, the development of the case remains ongoing, and we only have a surface level understanding. 

If this could happen at an elementary school where young children are present, it means that this could happen at any school. If something is going on at Fuquay Varina High School and needs to be reported, make sure to let someone know so the same does not happen at our school.