Winter guard season continues with eighth place finish

One winter sport that few people know about is winter guard. Winter guard is a competitive version of the color guard that accompanies many school marching bands.

This year, the winter guard has already put in a few competitions, although they did not have their best performances.

Their most recent competition ended with FVHS receiving eighth place in their group. The team thought that they would have done better, especially considering the difficulty in their performance as compared to the other schools.

Senior Jay Morra put it bluntly, “The people who got first did the easy stuff, and we did the harder stuff.”

This could mean that the team’s results came down to the accuracy of the movements, and accuracy is not on Fuquay’s side, as Morra is one of very few seniors on the team. 

The team mostly consists of freshmen, a couple of sophomores, and a terribly low number of upperclassmen. The lack of older athletes seems to be a theme for FVHS athletics this year.

Their first competition was a lot better than the one last weekend, where they earned fifth place. This was despite not having their full performance complete and having only worked on this routine for a week at that point.

“The hardest part is really memorizing all of the work at one time,” said freshman Kayla Billingsly.

This shows that winter guard is not only physically demanding but also mentally demanding. It is also a sport that will hopefully last at FVHS for decades to come.