Senior athletes make their next step towards college sports

Almost every athlete’s dream is to take their game to the next level. For some of the student-athletes at Fuquay Varina, this dream is becoming a reality. 

Spring signing day took place on Wednesday, May 10, in the FVHS gym. Students from various sports signed their official commitments to play in college. 

The event had a great turnout with families, coaches, and students alike coming to support the athletes at FVHS. Coaches were able to give nice words to each student-athlete, which really put into perspective how hard each individual worked to achieve their goals.

Noah Mathew, who is committed to the University of Lynchburg for soccer, credits all of the support from the people around him in being able to reach his goal of playing college soccer. 

“My parents have been so supportive along my journey, taking me to practices, helping me with getting recruited, and traveling to games as far as California, Colorado, and Florida. My friends have also been supportive along the way,” explained Mathew. “My coaches have also really helped me develop and were able to give me the confidence to lead the teams I’ve been a part of and have pushed me overall to become a stronger player. I’m very appreciative of all the support I’ve had along the way that has pushed me to strive for success and achieve my goals.”

The athletic programs at FVHS create the habits needed in an athlete in order to give them a great chance to succeed at the next level. Lees McRae College commits Averi Richmond started on the women’s soccer team all four years and credits hard work to get her where she is today.

“Fuquay soccer has helped me learn to always give a 100 percent effort, even during practices. I’m excited to be able to play the sport I love for four more years,” said Richmond. 

The event helped us celebrate these athletes’ hard work and dedication they put in over their years at Fuquay. We will be wishing them the best of luck on the next level. 

Averi Richmond- Lees McRae College, Soccer

Rachel Ward- Meredith College, Soccer

Jocelyn Tavira Gallardo- Methodist University, Soccer

Peyton Harper- Washington & Jefferson College, Lacrosse

Alyssa Boling- UNC Charlotte, Cheer

Kenzie Pennington- Barton College, Cheer

Sydney Cooke- NC A&T, Cheer

Nick Robinson- Averett University, Lacrosse

Jacob Malia- Chowan University, Lacrosse

Dylan Sullivan- William Peace University, Lacrosse

Sarah Munzenmaier- Lees McRae College, Swim

Noah Mathew- Lynchburg University, Soccer

Jake Hart- Lynchburg University, Basketball

Madison Davis- UNC Pembroke- Softball

Courtney Maddox- Greensboro College, Softball

Reagan Bleichner- Louisburg College, Softball