Kick off to bengal swim season

The Fuquay-Varina High School swim team kicked off their 2022-2023 season last month. This year senior captain Sarah Munzenmaier has been looking forward to this season starting and making it a special one. She plans to continue her swim career as she heads off to Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk in the fall of 2023.

“I am excited to see the improvements by the end of the season. The team has been working really hard, and I am excited to see it pay off,” said Munzenmaier. 

Swim team is both a collaborative as well as and individual sport, so they set team goals as well as individual goals. For Munzenmaier, a high school swim highlight was during freshman year. 

“My relay team broke the 400 freestyle relay record. We had been working for that all season, and it was such a great feeling to look at the board and see that time,” said Munzenmaier. 

Practice is key to success in most things in life, and swimming is no exception. The team practices daily at Clubworx from 9-10 p.m. 

“Practices are usually fun, we listen to music while working hard and pushing each other,” said Munzenmaier. 

Munzenmaier has been swimming since she was nine years old on the Clubworx swim team. Then two years later, she joined a competitive swim team at (HCAC) Harnett County Aquatic Club, before transferring to (RSA) Raleigh Swimming Association. 

“When I am swimming, I have this sense that nothing else matters and it helps me clear my head,” explained Munzenmaier, who has fought her way through some hardships from being off her game to physical obstacles. 

“I don’t like to eat before a practice or meet because it makes my stomach feel weird, and I have had cramps a lot in the past,” said Munzenmaier.

Being out of commission last year due to an injury proved to be very frustrating. 

“I tore muscles in both shoulders last year after high school swimming ended. It took me out of the pool for 2 months. That was pretty hard for me,” said Munzenmaier. Positive results are what Munzenmaier strives for.                                           

“The only thing that upsets me is when I am swimming and hit rough patches, and I am not seeing the results of my efforts,”  stated Munzenmaier.

The team is ready for their next meet after the holiday break, on January 6 against Cleveland, Clayton, and Corinth Holders.