Students show their Christmas spirit during spirit week

Last week’s winter spirit week was a success. Even though this spirit week was not specifically Christmas-themed, the students took this opportunity to show their Christmas spirit.

Monday’s assignment was to dress up as your favorite movie character. The costumes ranged from dark to light and silly to serious. Some of the campus favorites included the Grinch and Dean Winchester from the CW’s Supernatural. All costumes were a smash hit and were definitely recognizable. 

Amelia Stoll as Dean Winchester from Supernatural (Aynsleigh Penland)

Tuesday was on brand with the holiday season, with the theme of crazy hat day. Most students chose to pair a Santa hat with a festive sweater and others decided to ignore the angle of Christmas and use a baseball cap or paperboy hat to enhance their outfits. Either way, this assignment was completed and everyone looked amazing. 

Ralph Philips shows his holiday spirit with a wacky Santa hat and Christmas glasses

Wednesday’s theme was ugly sweater day which was perfect for the week before Christmas. A fun holiday sweater is also a great way to battle the cold snap this time of the year. There were many fun ideas, including a Santa outfit with suspenders and sloths hanging on a Christmas tree. These sweaters were much more fun than ugly this year.

Mia Mancini and Emily McWhirter show their Christmas spirit with festive holiday sweaters (Christian Helfrich)

Thursday was jersey day, which doesn’t really fit with the holiday season; however, the students had a lot of fun with this theme. There were two distinct looks this day: either to look like Adam Sandler from the Waterboy or a completely different approach by dressing as a Jersey girl. Both ideas were super fun and brought a smile to people’s faces. 

Mr. Thomas shows his school spirit with a Cleveland jersey (Christian Helfrich)

Spirit week went out with a bang with flannel Friday. Most people decided to wear plaid instead of strictly flannel, but this gave a greater opportunity for people to participate even if they did not own a flannel. Some chose to wear flannel pajama pants which was a comfy way to end a long and tiring week before the festivities begin.

Sam Prestipino and Christian Helfrich show their school spirit by twinning in their blue flannel (Alissa Martinez)