Powderpuff recap

The Fuquay-Varina High School Powderpuff game ended in thrilling fashion for the seniors as they took down the juniors. Due to inclement weather, It took a while for Powderpuff to happen, but the final product was an awesome experience for everyone involved.

The night opened with the first two games happening simultaneously. The seniors took on the freshmen and the juniors played the sophomores. The juniors dominated the sophomores through the air and easily defeated them. The freshmen were able to quickly get on the board against the seniors but would be shut out the rest of the game. The seniors would then go on two impressive touchdown drives while running a true Fuquay-style rushing attack. Ultimately, the championship game would be the seniors versus the juniors for the title of Powderpuff Champions. 

“It got really intense,” said recent graduate Braxton Cutchin. “It was very competitive. The girls were putting their everything into it and moved the ball well. The energy was through the roof as well,” Cutchin added.

The intensity started to heat up between games. There was a lot of excitement about the championship game. The juniors made it their mission to spoil the night for the seniors, while the senior team wanted to go out on top.

“This is one of those classic high school experiences. It felt like we needed to win as a part of this pinnacle high school event,” said senior wide-receiver Sarah Munzenmaier. 

The seniors got off to a slow start in the championship game, allowing the juniors to drive all the way down the field for a touchdown. The senior offense would then tie the game at six a piece a quarter of the way through the game. The junior’s next drive would be stuffed at the goal line on fourth down, giving the seniors a chance to take the lead. They were able to do just that with less than two minutes left in the game, scoring with a huge touchdown run. It appeared as though the seniors would ride off into the sunset with the win. This fairytale would quickly come crashing down with a quick junior touchdown, tying the game at 12. With 30 seconds left on the clock, it looked like the game was destined for overtime. This was until senior quarterback Sophie Behrendt heaved a ball down the field hoping anyone would catch it. Benhrendt’s perfect throw would be hauled in by running back Kendall Smith. Smith would take it all the way to the end zone to give the seniors an 18-12 lead with just 13 seconds left to play. The defense would stand tall in the final seconds to secure the win. 

“I was really proud of the way my players gave their all. With that kind of effort, I knew no team was going to be able to beat us,” said senior coach Luke Toscano.

The festivities ended with team pictures and the presentation of the championship golden ball to the seniors. This was certainly one of the most thrilling finishes to a Powderpuff game in its history at Fuquay.