JV football team learns how to win

Here at Fuquay Varina High School, we love our varsity football, but we should not forget our stars of the future, our JV football team. It has not been the season they’ve wanted to have but a lot can be taken away this year from the group of young guns. 

This year’s JV team is 1-8, but they have grown as players and have learned how to get better as they look toward the future of their high school football careers. 

Sophomore starting quarterback Connor Castle gets better day by day as he prepares to take on any defense that’s in his way. 

“I love to throw the ball and lead the team,” Castle said. “You have a lot of fun with your teammates, have some jokes. Before the game, you have to settle down but most of the time it’s a lot of fun.”  

Castle isn’t the only player who’s grown immensely this year, and so has the freshman wing and safety Corbin Peacock. 

“Just being able to help out on both sides of the ball is big because I can help talk to my guys and they can talk to me,” stated Peacock. 

“We just have to think positive and think about the next game. We’re not having the best year. We’re a young team and next year we will improve. Our record doesn’t show it, but we’ve grown as a team and gained a bond that will only help us.”

Jackson Smith is another freshman who has a natural talent and plays with heart and guts. He loves to play safety because of interceptions, but safety does have its challenges.

“When there’s a big running back and he’s outside, you can’t tackle him,” said Smith.

Not everyone learns from playing in games a lot, but they’re still learning at all times in the school’s football program. Lineman Lucas Prestipino loves to just be out there and do his thing.

“I love the people I meet in the organization because you get to meet lots of new people and all of the comraderies in the locker room,” said Prestipino.

Prestipino especially enjoys gameday.

“Getting hype on game days. Getting excited, going over the game plan and final adjustments heading into the game. Everyone starts to lock in and get ready to do their job to help get the win,” said Prestipino.

This team has been on a roller coaster all season long, but after their first win over South Garner on Oct 21, they’re going to be so much fun to watch and see grow, not just as players, but as young men. So come on out and support your team of the future.