FVHS chorus group wins overall in Florida

Fuquay Varina High School’s chorus group won the overall award in competition at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.
Alyx Tidwell

The FVHS chorus group, including the advanced womens choir and chamber choir, went to Universal Studios in Orlando, Fla. for a competition April 5, 2024. They took home the decorum award and the overall award. Senior Dominic Sicola also won the soloist award.

“It’s always validation that we are doing the right things, and I am teaching the right stuff. They work really hard to put everything together. They respond to everything I ask them and take on every challenge I throw their way. It’s always good to see that pay off,” said chorus teacher Tyler Cole.

Cole joined the FVHS staff a few years ago. Since then, the choir has traveled to Busch Gardens, Dollywood, and Universal Studios. This year the judges at the competition at Universal awarded them the title of Excellent, one of the top rankings in the competition.

“Since I [graduated] from Fuquay Varina High School, I got to see what the program can be. Getting to be able to rebuild that and watch it grow, while watching more and more people find a home and a community within the school, and the fact that I can help provide that, is really neat,” said Cole.

Chorus is one of the many opportunities we have for students to grow closer together and bond with their peers. Multiple chorus members have said that traveling with their team and spending time with other group members outside of school and choir class has helped them create closer bonds and friendships within the group. 

“We worked hard and worked as a team. We only had one competition other than Orlando this year, and we did good at competitions this past year,” said sophomore Addison Smith. 

The FVHS chorus has come such a long way in a short period of time. This year the chorus received the decorum award at the competition at Universal. This award is usually given to a team that brings the most money and the most students. However, the FVHS group earned it for different reasons. 

“When we accepted the award, one of the officials came up and said this is one of the most professional and best groups we have ever had, just from how they carried themselves the minute they walked into the auditorium, to cheering and encouraging all the other groups at the award ceremony. The official also said we literally could not give this award to anyone else because they truly deserve it,” said Cole.

The FVHS chorus has flourished in the past few years and has become an organization where students can find their place in the school where they can feel comfortable and be themselves. With continued hard work and dedication, our chorus program will go on to accomplish much more next year. 

This award-winning chorus will perform at FVHS on Thursday, May 23, 2024, for their end-of-year choral concert.