New ‘The Walking Dead’ spin-off breaks records at AMC+ Studios

Ella Wachtel
The new series, ‘The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live,’ premiered on Feb. 25, 2024 and has been very well-liked.

The Walking Dead franchise returns to AMC+ breaking records and receiving massive numbers with the release of just the first two episodes. The debut of the spin-off titled “The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live” set a record with three million viewers in just three days.

In this limited series, Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira return to their roles of Rick and Michonne. With Gurira as a creator following Scott Gimple, the show takes place after the events of the original series in season 10.

This highly anticipated spin-off received incredible feedback, quickly becoming AMC+ Studio’s most-watched episode of any show ever on their platform. The first of six episodes has already broken two impressive records. 

“It’s no secret why the show has broken so many records,” freshman Ashantee Adams commented. “They connected the storylines between season 10 and this show seamlessly. They brought back some of the fans’ favorite characters after five years. Everybody had to be tuned in on Sunday night again.”

Feb. 25 was a big day for AMC+. The premiere of the show was labeled the biggest episode of television in the history of AMC+ for both viewership and customer acquisition. It was also listed as the top cable drama of the current TV season in key demographics and the “biggest AMC series premiere in six years,” said Dan McDermott, president of entertainment at AMC Studios.

The show not only surpassed all of AMC+ Studio’s other shows in streams, but it also surpassed its other spin-offs. “The Ones Who Live” had 896,000 same-day viewers, exceeding their past two, “Dead City” (704,000) and “Daryl Dixon” (631,000).

The show is currently labeled as a limited series, but given the amount of success and support the show has received in such a brief time frame, this may possibly change in the future.