Committee plans for 50th anniversary of consolidation

Fuquay Varina High School, Home of the Bengals celebrates their 100 year anniversary.
Erin Fahringer

According to our “Victory Bell” shirts, Fuquay Varina High School started in 1925, meaning next year will be the 100th year of FVHS. People want to know if there are any plans. FVHS is a long-running school and it feels necessary to remember the history of the school on its 100th birthday.

Currently, we are not sure if there will be any plans for an event or recognition of this landmark. Upon further investigation, it also isn’t clear where the “since 1925” on the Bell t-shirts originated. 

Laurel Felder, a sophomore and member of the Student Council at FVHS, stated,  “Not that I know of or can say.” This could mean several things, so no assumptions are being made on whether or not plans are in the making for an event. This could change along the way as it gets closer to the date of the anniversary of the school.

Though no plans for a 100th year celebration are in the works, there are some for a celebration regarding the 50th year of being an integrated school. Integration of the school was an extremely important part of the school’s history, a time when all students of all races were able to come together in one school. Our school changed from Fuquay Springs High School to what it is known as today when we merged with Fuquay Consolidated High School. Everything was changed including the colors, mascot, and the name of the school to allow for every student to have a new beginning.

Plans for a celebration regarding this event are in the works, and so far it seems like a pretty large event.

Principal Mike James said, “We’re planning a whole year-long celebration with different areas of focus: Academic, athletic, and civic community legacies. So we’re going to highlight different celebrations throughout the 25-26 school year.”

The events and celebrations for this landmark were discussed at a meeting that included a wide variety of people ranging from administrators at the school now to students of the Consolidated High School.

James said, “I organized it, and it was Administrators and community members like the Mayor, former administrators from FVHS, a couple teachers from FVHS, our school board representative, and members of the Fuquay Consolidated High School which was the Black high school.” 

The biggest part of planning an event is making sure people will attend; therefore, students and staff at the school must recognize this celebration as something necessary.

Sophomore Kensley Harrison says, “I think it would be fun to look back on the history.” 

Feldner also agrees with Harrison regarding a celebration stating, “I believe we should recognize it. I’m not sure if we should have a big celebration but recognition is important,” said Feldner.

Not only has FVHS affected its students but it’s also affected the community. At the demolition of the old building, many people in the community came to take pieces of the building and preserve the artwork in the school. 

Longtime FVHS English teacher Ryan Carolan stated, “They wanted those [the murals] preserved, so I do think it’s important that the community has an opportunity to come out and do  some type of celebration.” 

Though we don’t know much now, we are excited to hear about the plans for such an important time in the history of FVHS.